Boiling a Lobster is not as hard as you might think. If you can boil a pot of water, then you can cook a live lobster. It’s important that you begin with a live lobster. If the lobster is already dead, it may not cook properly.
Boiling a lobster is the most common method of preparation and we’ll show you how to do it step-by-step below.
- Add1-2 inches of water a to a large boiling pot.
- If you have fresh seaweed add the seaweed to the bottom of the pot.
- Bring pot up to a high boil.
- Clip the rubber bands off the live lobster.
- Pick up Lobster and quickly place head first in boiling water.
- Cover, and boil for 15-18 mins. The lobster shells will be bright red & the tails will be curled when they are done.
- The lobster is done when it turns red, and you can easily pull off an antena.
While the lobsters cook, make the lemon butter. Heat the butter in a small pot over low heat. Warm it up gently so the milk solids begin to cook and sink to the bottom of the pot, Keep a close watch because once the milk solids collect and fall, they burn really easily. Strain the clear butter into a small serving cup, leaving the solids behind, and give a squeeze of lemon juice.
Lobster Cooking Times
For boiling or steaming a lobster
|Lobster Weight||Cooking Time|
|1 – 1 ¼ lb.||12 – 15 minutes|
|1 ¼ – 2 lb.||15 – 20 minutes|
|2-3 lb.||20 – 25 minutes|
|3-6 lb.||25 – 28 minutes|
|6-7 lb.||28 – 30 minutes|
|8 lb. and over||4 minutes per pound|
How Do I Know When The Lobster Is Cooked?
Lobsters will turn their characteristic bright red color well before the meat is thoroughly cooked inside. Follow these easy tips to ensure that the lobster is cooked.
- Tug on an antennae or pull off one of the small walking legs. They both will come off easily when the lobster is done.
- The meat inside the lobster will be firm, white and opaque The tomalley, which fills much of the body cavity will be greenish-yellow.
- The roe in female lobsters will be bright orange-red and firm. If it is a dark greenish-black, with an oily tar-like consistency, the lobster is under cooked.
- The internal temperature should be 180 F (80 C)